Share in WhatsApp
Nordic walking: available physical activity for all ages
- The benefits of physical activity when walking with sticks
- Contraindications to fitness training
- The technique of the walk and advice on fitness
Walking is the most natural human exercise, which can preserve and strengthen health. This motor activity has its own types, among them Nordic walking with special poles. Invented this kind of walk in the middle of the last century skiers from Finland, which are engaged with the poles from skis, has maintained his physical shape in the off-season. The obvious benefit, efficiency and simplicity of such walk very quickly made it extremely popular among people who care about their health.
The benefits of physical activity when walking with sticks
Fitness classes where the main activity is Nordic walking, belong to the category of cardio training, and aerobic exercise is known to have a positive effect on the body:
- the heart begins to pump more blood which causes the heart muscle to strengthen, and the entire circulatory system to develop and function better;
- during aerobic physical exertion along with heart rate quickens and breathing. Consequently, the body gets more oxygen. In such circumstances, beneficial alveolar lung volume inevitably increases;
- high concentration of oxygen is the main catalyst of all processes in the body leads to faster metabolism. As a result of the tissues and organs receive more nutrients and thus improves the function of all systems;
- aerobic physical exercise allows you to expend a lot of calories and stimulates the process of lipolysis — breaking fat cells with the aim of transforming them into extra energy. This feature cardio is extremely important and useful for people who are overweight and want to get rid of the most effective and safe way;
- strengthens muscles of the entire body. This is possible because Nordic walking uses poles, by moving which is actively working the muscles of the upper torso, not just the feet, as is the case with fitness classes on the basis of ordinary walking.
- increases mobility of joints and improves the functionality of the whole joint and ligamentous apparatus. This fact explains the popularity of Nordic walking among elderly people suffering from age-related stiffness. It also eliminates posture disorders that occur in young people and lead to the development of various diseases.
Fitness training based on the walking sticks are a number of important advantages which distinguish them from other sports:
- walking with sticks at any age, while not having a high level of training and specific sports skills;
- during fitness training it is almost impossible for negative compression load on the spine and the entire musculoskeletal system;
- in order to do not need to go to the gym and to buy a subscription. Budget and availability, Nordic walking advantages which distinguish it from other fitness activities.
Contraindications to fitness training
Despite the benefits and advantages of Nordic walking, in some cases, activities such physical exertion can do more harm to health than to strengthen it. Doctors and experienced fitness experts do not recommend the practice of walking with sticks, if a person has at least one health problem from the list below:
- acute cardiac or pulmonary insufficiency or any other severe dysfunction of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems;
- post-infarction condition;
- diseases of the kidneys and urinary system;
- arthritis in the final stages;
- exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- pathology of pregnancy;
- temporary deterioration of health triggered by infectious or viral infection of the body.
The technique of the walk and advice on fitness
To get all the benefits of fitness training, it is necessary to observe the correct technique of walking, which involves the following nuances:
- the rate of the pitch during the whole period of walk should be the same and be about 6-6,5 km/h;
- while walking the upper limb should remain straight and play forward and backward at an angle of 40 degrees relative to the body;
- when making a step with your left foot forward you need to take the right hand;
- guiding the upper limb back, you need to try to relax your brush to allow the muscles to relax a bit. It does not have to worry that the stick will slip from the palm of your hand, because even if that happens, then special safety strap worn on your wrist, will not let it fall to the floor. Using this strap, you can quickly and easily return the handle of the stick in his hand;
- during the fitness classes you need to keep the back straight and the shoulders are lowered so that they are not tired. It’s easy enough to do because the length of the sticks is much less than those used in skiing.
Having mastered the proper technique of walking, you need to pay attention to the following recommendations, which help to enhance the performance of physical loads exerted on the body when engaging with this area of fitness:
- it is very important to correctly choose the suitable length sticks, focusing if you choose this sports equipment for growth. If you use too short of the sticks it’s hard to capture straight back position, as he will be forced to bend when walking. If the stick is too long, then during fitness training will be unnaturally high, lifting the shoulders;
- sticks can be of fixed length or telescopic. The latter is very convenient in cases where the venue of the training you need to reach by public transport;
- for Nordic walking it is recommended to purchase athletic shoes that are specifically designed for this type of physical activity;
- it’s recommended to do a day that was visible all the obstacles that may arise on the route.
Uses photographs Shutterstock