Methods of eliminating delayed onset muscle soreness muscles after physical exertion
- Causes of pain syndrome after exercise
- Pain relief that occurs after a fitness
- General advice to beginners in fitness training
Often intense physical activity accompanied by pain appearing the day after active work. This phenomenon is called delayed onset muscle soreness. Such pain can arise not only from newcomers to fitness, but also have enough experienced gym attendees as a result of excessive increase of the load. Although post-workout pain go away on their own after a few days, there are effective ways to speed up this process to ease the condition. They need to know everyone who has decided to hold regular fitness training.
Causes of pain syndrome after exercise
The main causes of pain after a fitness are:
- the increase in the concentration of lactic acid, or lactate, in the muscle tissues.
Lactate is a product of the breakdown of glucose and is formed as a result of anaerobic glycolysis. Lactic acid stimulates muscle hypertrophy, and this process is accompanied by pain;
- microtrauma of the muscle fibers.
Under the influence of great physical exertion muscles get injured causing pain. During the healing process of minor wounds, the formation of new cells muscle fibers thicken and thicken, therefore, total muscle volume increases. The more damage received, the muscles, the stronger the pain after fitness classes.
It is important to distinguish between delayed onset muscle soreness from pain resulting from injury. For this it is necessary to pay attention to such nuances:
- the pain of injury appears immediately after a careless motion, tends to increase the intensity and localized in a certain place. In most cases, the pain syndrome does not go away on their own, and require medication and other therapy;
- soreness is beginning to be felt in about 8-12 hours after fitness training. The pain covers a fairly large amount of muscles, although it may especially bother those parts of the body where muscles are worked more intensively. Even without the adoption of measures to eliminate pain he goes through 3-5 days.
Pain relief that occurs after a fitness
There are several proven ways of dealing with pain in the muscles of concern after an intense fitness. These methods are proven but have its pros and cons:
Manual skin and soft tissue stimulates blood flow to the affected areas muscles. Due to the increased blood flow the muscle tissue regenerate more effectively, and lactic acid is rapidly excreted. In this way, if it’s not a self-massage, is a big advantage – one does not need to operate independently, and you can relax and rest after exercise. However, when massage is not carried out immediately after training, and on the background of pain, during manual exposure, the pain may increase.
A slight increase in body temperature also leads to increased blood flow to muscle tissue, which speeds up the recovery process. To warm up the body after exercise, you can use warm baths, steam baths or saunas, as well as warming compresses and body wraps. Taking such procedures, it is necessary to observe temperature, so as not to harm the health, especially if you have cardiovascular disease.
- Easy cardio.
The effectiveness of this method is based on the increased blood flow, which resulted in the microtrauma heals faster, and the concentration of lactate in the muscles is reduced. Aerobic physical activity increases heart rate, and blood starts to circulate with greater speed, supplying all the tissues and organs with oxygen and nutrients. This method has one drawback – the overcoming of pain and associated restricted movement. In some cases, soreness can be so strong that the exercise is causing more pain and holding even light fitness training is not possible. In such circumstances it is better to use other, passive, method of dealing with delayed onset muscle soreness (massage or warm water treatments).
Fitness classes stretching eliminate spasms in the muscles, improve blood circulation and help to relax. However, when you perform movements the pain may worsen, so people with a low pain threshold, this method of eliminating delayed onset muscle soreness may not be suitable.
- Local anesthesia with warming, pain killers and anti-inflammatory ointments, gels and creams.
The use of pharmacological remedies will give temporary relief. This method can be used, for example, before the provision of physical activity on the background of delayed onset muscle soreness, to reduce the intensity of pain.
General advice to beginners in fitness training
To prevent delayed onset muscle soreness and reduce pain in the case where its occurrence could not be avoided, beginners in fitness training must be guided by the following recommendations:
- before each session you need to warm-up, followed by hitch. Increased blood circulation in the beginning of the training helps enhance performance and prevent injury. Stretching of muscle fibers after physical activity promotes the relaxation, the removal of lactic acid and activation of regenerative processes;
- you must train regularly, increasing the load gradually and not more than 10% from the previous value;
- against the background of fitness you need to eat right to the body enough nutrients for proper functioning of all systems and processes of regeneration;
- you must sleep at least 8 hours a day. This contributes to the early recovery of the body after fitness training;
- it is important to observe the drinking mode, avoiding dehydration. Drink plenty of liquids removes lactate from the muscles and positively affects the process of tissue regeneration.
Uses photographs Shutterstock