Arnold Schwarzenegger liked to do presses for shoulders. One of the options with which the Iron Arnie lit up in front of the cameras, was a bench with a turn sitting with dumbbells chest. Sounds difficult? No one wants to call the movement exactly, so it “trailer” a short and striking name – Jim Arnold. It is unknown, incidentally, invented whether Schwarzenegger this variation himself or borrowed from someone. During the Golden Era of bodybuilding, people just lift weights, I kept the food and participated in competitions, and didn’t try to patent every method. Today this movement is used by both professionals and fitness enthusiasts.
What muscles work
Exercise develops the anterior and middle deltoid muscle bundles. As stabilizers in the movement involves the muscles of the body, long back muscles, the press, the front and back of the thighs, buttocks, if the movement is performed while standing.
When the initial position of “sitting on the bench,” the body and the legs work less, stabilization comes at the expense of the quads and the press, and when using substantial weights weights.
Technique of bench press Arnold
Movement some mistakenly considered difficult. In fact, it is quite natural. If a person needs to pull over the head with a scarf or flag, by lifting the object, he will perform the reversal, which some people have time to think.
Technical features of the bench sitting are:
Bench is exposed so that the back was strictly at an angle of 90 degrees. This takes the load from the stabilisers. The athlete takes a dumbbell straight grip, sits on a bench and leans back:
- Then the shells appear to the shoulders so that the forearms were pressed to the body, and the palm was looking to shoulder;
- Performed bench up, while by rotation of the hand at the top of the exercise, looking forward;
- Lowering is smooth, and reverse rotation of the projectile;
- Extra “padding” from the chest, or the acceleration of the weight due to the repulsion of the shells from the shoulder is prohibited;
- It is not recommended to take too heavy weight
Standing exercise a little more will involve stabilizers and requires skill to keep the so-called “neutral spine”, that is, standing straight, tightening the stomach, and resting his feet on the floor so that your back is not stooping, and the movement of the shoulder joint were normal.
Many believe that variations in the activity is not, i.e. it is only performed with dumbbells. In fact, several of them. First of all, this bench press with weights. Most likely, the mechanics of the movement was “borrowed” in the bench press with the chest standing or the movement and was performed initially with kettlebells, as a turn of the wrists from the body characteristic of the press of weights.
The second variation is the standing press with one arm of the crossover. Block is attached at the bottom and runs upward movement with a turn of the brush. This exercise is rehabilitative in nature, or running “sweeper” at the end of training. Classic bodybuilder rarely chooses such movements.
The third variation is press one dumbbell or kettlebell down on one knee in the scissors. This movement is used in order to correct muscle imbalances that some athletes occurs because of the scoliosis. Possible options when you press with the same hand or of opposite supporting leg.
The secret of efficiency “press Arnold” in that performing, the athlete gradually incorporates muscle bundles. He starts through the front of the Delta, reaching the middle of the amplitude, includes a high, and the top begins to work back Delta and back. Rear beam deltoid stabilize the weight at the top, and gets a small load. But still he is involved in this exercise.
Beginners difficult to perform the Arnold press correctly just because of lack of stabilization and discomfort in the shoulder joints. This exercise is included in the plan only when the person will be able to fully raise your arms over your head without experiencing pain.
A list of errors similar to what we see in a normal dumbbell bench press and military press:
- If the movement is done in the rack, the athlete cityguy body, performing polojim-polulvom. This technique is not acceptable. If it turns out just so, it is better to choose a variant from the original position “sitting on the bench”;
- Some are breaking the trajectory of the bench and the dumbbells forward and up. This leads to a dangerous overload of the joint and the front beam deltoid muscles as well as ligaments. It is better to avoid unnatural trajectories, though some athletes and advocate for them;
- Bad option – exercising with too heavy, not suitable for the athlete weight. This sin novices. They think that if every person in the hall can boast of performing this movement with more weight, and they should. This leads to improper technique, and disturbance of the trajectory.
It is a mistake and too early a turn of the wrists. They need to be deployed when the dumbbells are raised above the top of the head. Otherwise the load will not be moved to the middle of the Delta.
The movement should be smooth throughout the path, without obvious cheating, jolts and jerks of the body and “throwing” the dumbbells.
This bench is ideal for those who need to raise impressive shoulders, but the Mahi and other insulation don’t work.
How much you can do dumbbell presses? Many perform classic and the Arnold bench press in one workout. Others don’t recommend to do it as the same type of work may overload the joint. Efficiently perform a single bench press with more weight, the other in a lighter, mnogopotochnoy mode.
Usually this movement is doing for 10-12 reps, 3-4 working sets. But the specifics here depend on the style of training of an athlete, and his personal preferences. There are sportsmen who gives the growth only novopoltavka, but there are those who prefer only power work.