The name of the hormone insulin is derived from Latin word insula, which means island. The reason for this is that it is produced by the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. Why you need this peptide hormone? What role it plays in the body? The answers to these and other questions you will find in the article.
- 1 Why does the human body need insulin?
- 2 Effects of insulin
- 2.1 Metabolic effect
- 2.2 Anabolic effect
- 2.3 anti-catabolic effect
- 3 the danger of the use of insulin — lethal dose
- 4 What take insulin in bodybuilding?
- 5 Advantages and disadvantages of insulin
- 6 Side effects
Why does the human body need insulin?
Peptide hormone exerts complex effects on metabolic processes in almost every tissue. The main action of insulin is to reduce the level of glucose in the blood. He has a strong anabolic effect, which is important for bodybuilders. Athletes take supplements based on it because of this action. As an alternative, take gliclazide and other saharoponizhayuschee oral treatment.
Another important property of insulin is to increase the permeability of membranes in relation to glucose, which occurs due to activation of key enzymes of glycolysis. The pigment stimulates the production of muscle fibers and liver glucose glycogen and enhances the production of proteins and fats. Insulin inhibits the enzymes that break down fat and glycogen. Anti-catabolic effect of peptide hormone can suppress the destruction of muscle fibers after heavy training.
The rate of transport of glucose depends on the insulin in adipose and muscle tissues. They are insulinozawisimy.
The effects of insulin
Peptide hormone acts in three directions:
The metabolic effect
- enhances the property of the cells to absorb glucose and other nutrients;
- activates key enzymes of glycolysis;
- the increased production of glycogen, i.e., that boosts the accumulation of glucose in the liver cells and muscles by polymerizing this compound in glycogen;
- reduces the intensity of gluconeogenesis, that is, reduces the formation of glucose by the liver from fat and protein.
- enhances the property to the absorption cells valine, leucine and other amino acids;
- activates transportation to the cells, potassium ions, phosphate, magnesium;
- increases the body’s biosynthesis of protein and DNA replication;
- enhances the synthesis and subsequent esterification of fatty acids in adipose tissue and liver, preventing the conversion of glucose into triglycerides, but if insulin is lacking, on the contrary, there is a mobilization of fat.
- inhibits the hydrolysis reduces protein degradation;
- decreases in the bloodstream fatty acids, that is, reduces a process known as lipolysis.
These mechanisms have effects on the body are most important for athletes.
The danger of the use of insulin — lethal dose
A “bad” reputation the insulin-deserved because of the likelihood of such a side-effect such as hypoglycemia. A warning message about it is found in almost every forum. Many of these reviews say that hypoglycemia may develop even at a small overdose and lead to death. Scientific and practical manner it was proved that the minimum lethal dosage is the quantity of 100 UNITS or a full syringe.
Known cases where people survived even after a dose of 3000 IU of insulin. If the person is completely alone, unclear consciousness can stop to call an ambulance. Coma develops either a few minutes or a few hours. Payment in blood glucose allows you to avoid death, and, consequently, the risk of death is much less than it is mistakenly considered.
What is the take insulin in bodybuilding?
In bodybuilding made use of insulin of short and ultrashort duration of action. The first is a hormone which after the introduction under the skin begins to act half an hour later. His reception must have been 30-40 minutes before a meal. Peak effects on the body occurs after 2 hours. Completely eliminated after 5 or 6 hours. Among drugs with short insulin should be preferred Aktrapid NM and Humulin Regular.
Ultrashort action of insulin start to affect the body either immediately after reception, or a quarter of an hour. Peak impact also comes in a couple of hours but appears after 3 or 4 hours. It can be taken 5-10 minutes before meals and immediately after a meal. Among the drugs most popular use of such synthetic analogs of insulin as anthropogenic glulisine, lizpo, aspart and drugs Apidra, Humalog, Flexpen, Penfill or Novorapid Penfill.
The course duration is two months. Its average cost ranges from 2 to 3 thousand rubles.
The advantages and disadvantages of insulin
Peptide hormone has the following advantages:
- a relatively small price to pay for the course;
- free sale in the pharmacy;
- low probability of buying fakes;
- low probability of development of side effects;
- no adverse effects after the conclusion of the course.
- no toxicity;
- a slight rollback phenomenon;
- increased anabolic effect;
- the lack of androgenic effect;
- compatibility with anabolics and other drugs;
Insulin is toxic to the liver, kidneys, does not lead to the violation of potency.
By cons is rather complicated scheme for the reception. There is quite a significant increase in subcutaneous fat. There is a possibility of hypoglycemia.
Insulin can cause the following negative consequences:
- hypoglycemia or lower glucose, which develop other side effects;
- itching at the injection site;
- allergic reactions, occurring rarely, but it happens to some people;
- the decline of endogenous insulin secretion after a prolonged course with high dosages.
The latter occurs when taking insulin with short or ultrashort duration of action. Other hormones of internal secretion regulated by hypothalamic-pituitary system. Insulin is not. It has no principle of feedback. To stimulate its synthesis is possible only by such regulators as the food intake and blood glucose levels. In other words, it affects only secretively cascade. This means that long-term use of insulin does not affect the secretion of this hormone even when a course is cancelled.
It is a mistake to take this property of the peptide hormone as positive. Risks manifestations of hypoglycemic States is quite high. To stop this side effect possible. First, you should only take ultra-short and short insulin. Secondly, eat fast carbs. The latter, entering the blood are absorbed into the fatty tissue as a result of lipogenesis. Excessive abuse of high doses or prolonged administration of insulin could provoke an increase in fat reserves.
He is quite weak anabolic hormone. But, with the development of hypoglycemia is the release of STG. The latter has its anabolic effect, which leads to an enhancement of this impact, and, therefore, carries a serious consequences.