Such diseases as lumbar hernia, brings discomfort when sitting or physical exertion. For getting rid of pain perform special exercises, which practically has no contraindications. Let’s look at what exercises you can do.
What is a lumbar hernia?
When herniation increased pressure in the intervertebral discs. This disease is a severe form of degenerative disc disease and occurs because:
- sedentary lifestyle;
- the presence of excess weight;
- of injury;
- lifting heavy objects.
The disease manifests itself in the appearance of:
- Aching pain. Discomfort is most noticeable when the body is tilted, sharp turns, long stay in a sitting position, heavy lifting. To neutralize this condition have resorted to pain medication. In case of wrong treatment there is a risk of increased pain.
- Muscle weakness. This condition occurs due to the weakening of muscle fibers. People suffering from this disease, often seen shuffling gait.
- Numbness of the limbs. In the absence of timely treatment, the disease can develop into the paresthesia, which will numb the legs, back, groin, and some tingling on the skin.
- Dysfunction of pelvis organs.
If the disease is run, the formation of disorders of the musculoskeletal apparatus, which movement will be difficult. Lack of treatment can lead to disability.
Exercises lumbar hernia
To improve the condition in the presence of a lumbar hernia should be performed set of exercises aimed at:
- the strengthening of a muscular corset;
- decrease spasms;
- the relaxation of muscle tissue;
- improvement of blood circulation;
- unloading of the spine;
- stabilization of metabolic processes;
- nourishment of the cells of the spine;
- the elimination of the pain.
Training at an early stage of the disease prevent complications. To obtain a sports program should enlist the help of a specialist who individually choose exercises depending on the physical capabilities of the patient.
At a critical stage of the disease any weight training is prohibited, as it may lead to deterioration.
Rules of performance of exercises
By doing exercises, you must:
- To track your own condition. Stop the workout if you experience any pain.
- Undergo a medical examination, if the duration of your workout, you feel uncomfortable. For people with weak physical training the condition is normal at the beginning of class.
- Not to perform twisting while the spine condition does not improve. Otherwise, they will exacerbate the problem.
- To perform exercises to strengthen the back every day several times a day. This system will help to eliminate pain.
- Do not exercise more than 20 minutes at a time.
- Not to make any sudden movements during class. All actions should be smooth and slow so as not to harm the spine.
- Gradually increase the load and training intensity.
Exercising with a hernia of the spine
Training begins with exercises aimed at relaxation of the dorsal division. For practicing at home in a chair and pillows. The exercise is performed lying on the stomach. You need to put on the chair cushion, and then gently to descend on it, with legs bent at the knees. Pamper your feet and stay in this position for up to 5 minutes and then return to its original state.
A list of standard exercises for herniated include:
- Breathing exercises to train the abdominal muscles. Performed in the supine position with bent legs. The hands lowered along the body, then there is the slow inhale and exhale and hold your breath for 4 seconds. Described exercise involves 12 repetitions.
- Sit-UPS lying on the floor. In the initial state the legs extended. Is lifting upper body for 10 seconds, then carefully return to the floor. For this exercise it requires at least 15 reps. Rest duration between them is 15 seconds. You need to ensure that the feet are not off the floor.
- Bending the legs in the supine position. In the initial state the legs bent at the knees. Is lifting the right leg to the stomach and cross movement to her left hand, and Vice versa. Rest between repetitions is 15 seconds. Exercise needs to be done 5-10 times for each leg.
Gymnastics for the spine is accompanied by a relaxation to a stationary state. You need to lie on the floor and hold that position for 10 minutes, then slowly rise.
There is a set of exercises aimed at the elimination of the pain. Training program is a doctor-physiotherapist. It usually includes the following exercises:
- Scissors, or cross movement straight leg in the supine position.
- Stretching hands to each other in the supine position with the stationary housing and the pelvis.
- Alternately bending the legs while in the supine position on the back. Housing remains in a stationary position. This exercise allowed in the absence of pain in the lumbar region.
- Stretch arms and legs at maximum length in the prone position.
- Pushups with preservation smooth back and waist.
- Raising the legs in side lying on stomach.
- Alternate leg lifts to chest lying on your side (first on the left with the instep of the right foot, then right, lifting the left leg).
- Taking turns to perform circular movements with the legs, lying on its side.
- Simultaneous lifting of arms and legs lying on the opposite side.
For each exercise recommended 10 repetitions. The number of sets is depending on physical condition. Regular therapy will not only improve health, but also to prevent the development of complications.