What is the bench press bar reverse grip and what benefits it gives? Technique exercises. What muscle is working the opposite bench? Is this exercise a health risk? The answers to these questions, read on.
Bench press bar reverse grip – an exercise to pumping of the upper part of the chest muscles. In the process of performing chest feels “explosive” load, whereby the growth of muscle fibers is accelerated. Bench press reverse grip has additional benefits. But to obtain them you must follow proper technique execution.
The benefits of exercise
Bench press bar reverse grip has a complex effect on the upper torso, pumping various muscle groups. Exercise:
- load the upper part of the chest muscles, replacing the standard bench press on the horizontal and incline bench;
- works the triceps when performing the final phase at the top;
- isolates the position of the elbow joint, eliminating pain and injury;
- uses top-Delta;
- pumps wide, improving motor skills;
- develops strength, stamina and stretching of the chest;
- strengthens the muscles of the top humeral belt;
- eliminates the asymmetry of the thoracic.
Bench press reverse grip is one of the most secure and suitable exercises athletes previously receiving sprains, dislocations, fractures. During training, the main burden is on the massive deltoid muscle and not the rotator cuff of the shoulder. The voltage at the wrist joint is reduced, so press reverse grip can be used in times of injury, to reduce the load on hands.
Back bench contributes to the formation of proper technique from beginners. For the exception of the triceps during the execution of repetitions the bar is not brought to the maximum height when pushing up. If you don’t straighten your arms completely during the training process, the design of the chest is enhanced because the moment of relaxation is absent.
The load on the muscle groups is distributed by changing the width of the grip:
- narrow – involve the triceps;
- wide – load thoracic.
The advantage of this exercise before basic bench press on a flat bench is a high efficiency, which allows you to increase working weights. If pumping breast reverse grip is missing in the training, muscle growth is reduced.
Comparison with a standard bench
The main difference between a reverse press standard hand position on the neck rod. The palm located at the sports projectile the inner part to himself, which is not typical for the basic techniques. This feature leads to a unique trajectory of the rod, ensuring the inclusion of the upper thoracic muscles during training. The deviation of the elbows and wrists to the side is eliminated, the width of the grip does not exceed 80 inches, so the load reaches the maximum limit.
Working weights if you do a reverse chest press is reduced, but the muscles of the body develop more harmoniously. Described advantage is useful for professional bodybuilders seek to work out all the muscle groups.
In 2016, American scientists conducted a study, whose results showed that the reverse grip bench press 25-30% more efficient that the standard method of pumping the chest with the rod. The maximum speed of the development of marked musculature when performing exercises on the bench at an upward angle.
The correct technique allows you to build muscle upper chest and front delts. Bench press reverse grip is done according to the following scheme:
To transfer the load on the lower part of the chest permissible exercise on a flat bench down.
The training program
Pumping chest muscle Department, using the bench press bar reverse grip is performed according to the following scheme:
- 2 practices per week on Monday and Friday;
- the maximum number of sets to 4;
- the maximum number of repetitions in the approach – 12;
- allowed to use together with classic bench in supersets;
- the duration of training without a long break – 10 weeks.
Bench press bar reverse grip is recommended for athletes who experience uncomfortable when using dumbbells and lever machines.
To reduce the potential for injury, avoid mistakes and obtain maximum performance, observe the following tips:
- the mass of the rod in a reverse grip should be less than the working weight in the classic version of exercises;
- anatomical features of the hands increase the risk of loss of control, so having insurance for the partner – is necessary;
- the maximum allowable lower trajectory does not touch the chest with the neck of the rod;
- performing the reverse press is allowed in the simulator Smith (in this case, the additional insurance is not obligatory);
- exercise refers to a subsidiary, therefore it is together with classic bench and cultivation of hands in the crossover;
- the rack must be at the height at which the hands get to the fretboard while in a slightly flexed position;
- to perform a reverse bench press “repulsed” when the neck is pushed away from the body;
- we first performed a warm-up with empty vulture, weighing up to 20 kilograms;
- to enhance the output load up the weight lifting is done quickly;
- standard load involves 3-4 approach, each with 8-10 reps
- the bar should move vertically without deviation from the path (if the projectile is shifted to the abdomen, there is a risk of rupture of deltas);
- when moving the elbows into the sides of the load from the triceps moves to the back, and pumping of the breast is reduced.
The regulations regarding the sequence of the reverse grip bench press in the workout program is missing. The athlete decides to do the exercise to the main complex.
Bench press reverse grip is used:
- the lag in the development of the thoracic from the other groups of muscles;
- the presence of weak triceps;
- reducing the impact of the basic exercises.
Reverse bench press is forbidden to athletes with an injury of the shoulder, biceps or elbow. Exercise is not suitable for people who do not have flexible wrists. Bench press reverse grip not recommended for beginners due to the lack of experience in training with weights increases the risk of slipping of the neck from the hands. Subject to technology the trauma of this exercise is minimal.