fitness, lifestyle, editor’s choice
Share in WhatsApp
8 mistakes you make during squats
- Not deep enough squats
- Incorrect grip of the fretboard
- The separation of the heels from the floor
- Rounding of the back during exercise
- An incorrect position of knees
- Too rapid a lowering of the
- Excessive lifting of the head
- Exhale when lifting the weight
The squat is the cornerstone of fitness. With this exercises to make buttocks firmer, legs strong and to develop strength, endurance, burn body fat. Although squats with free weights for many beginners seem to be the simplest component of the training, any mistake in the performance of work done in the gym is inefficient. In addition to the absence of result of an error during sit-UPS threatens to turn into another injury. To get a beautiful ass, keep healthy joints and spine, you need to “tame” a basic exercise. It is enough to know what common mistakes must be avoided when performing the squat.
Not deep enough squats
Fatal error in squats, negate the effectiveness of the exercise is their lack of squat. Be squat to the position in which the knees are bent at a 90 degree angle and the hips are parallel to the floor. You can drop below this line. The deeper the squat, the higher the burden on those glutes. Part of the squat is usually associated with reduced range of motion. If you can’t Crouch as deeply as possible, the cause of the problem may be too much weight barbells or dumbbells. In this case, you must subtract the weight rod.
Sometimes squats get shallow due to the insufficient mobility of the hip joint. And if the muscles restrict your range of motion, should be worked out. Emphasis should be laid on the gluteus and hamstrings. It is best to adopt the available stretching exercises, relaxation lagging muscles. With you are able to do a variety of lunges, bends, splits, etc.
Incorrect grip of the fretboard
The correct grip of the fretboard — the key to the safety and comfort of the athlete. Too wide grip deprives a person of control over the rod. And narrow — leads to additional efforts in the elbows during the movement. Clasp the neck you need the whole hand and not to keep only one of your fingers. The optimal grip — 5-8 cm from shoulder width.
It is important to pay attention to the position of the fretboard. If you put the bar too high, at the base of the neck, you may experience pain in this area. Also, such a failure leads to loss of balance, involuntary tilt forward. The optimum location of the neck — in the middle trapezius muscles.
The separation of the heels from the floor
When performing squats feet should remain pressed to the floor throughout the exercise. Detachment heels can lead to imbalance, which affects technique, not to mention the possibility of injury. If you can’t squat so that the stop position has not changed during movement, it is necessary to work out calf muscles. It is the stiffness of the leg muscles may cause separation of the heels from the floor. For their relaxation, it is sufficient to periodically use the standard complex stretching from the slopes.
Rounding of the back during exercise
One of the basic safety rules when working on the exercise is to perform squats with a straight back. Only with this approach it is possible to avoid back injuries. Often, however, gyms can be seen that the visitors to the fitness centers round the back under a barbell. This error leads to lack of elaboration of the target muscles, displacement of the load on the intervertebral discs. The easiest way to maintain posture is normal, if you apply the chest slightly forward, and elbows at the end of the exercise take you back.
An incorrect position of knees
When working with free weights is often a record, raising the knees or wrapping them inside. This situation is due to insufficient development of the abductor and adductors of the thigh. To eliminate the error with incorrect position of the legs during the movement should concentrate on the knees, to prevent their circumstances change. And strengthen the weak muscles will help squats with band expander. The elastic band will create a drag feeling it, you will automatically expand your knees outward and not inward.
Squats help to increase the volume of the legs, to build muscle. And these exercises are useful for heart health. This is confirmed by research scientists. In Denmark, the monitoring was carried out for the well-being about 3 thousand women and men for over 10 years. Experts have established that the risk of occurrence and development of diseases of the heart and blood vessels was higher in 2 times of those parties whose circumference of the leg was less than 56 see the Researchers came to the conclusion that a large muscle mass of the body, extended including using sit-UPS, contributed to the decline of mortality in General, protection against development of cardiovascular diseases.
Too rapid a lowering of the
Proper completion of the approach — half of the squats. You should not quickly fall down, so you can hurt the knees. Sometimes squat exercises complete jerk from the lower position because they do not have the strength to lift the barbell with more weight. But this is a gross error that could harm the body. Ideally, the athlete must control the barbell throughout a squat. The lowering down should take 2-3 seconds, and the speed of lowering of the hips should be about 45 degrees per second. Smooth motion will help maintain joint health.
Excessive lifting of the head
The direction looks squat man, is also crucial for the compliance of the exercise equipment. Beginners need to remember that you need to watch in front of him. The position should be such that the lower jaw was parallel to the floor throughout the approach. While inexperienced athletes sometimes too high raise the head, looking up at the ceiling. This error threatens to imbalance, increased curve in their lower back resulting in injury. It is not to look down, to the side, not to lose weight control.
In the Internet you can find information about that threat as a shallow squat, and too deep down. It is believed that deep squats lead to increased pressure on the soft tissue surrounding the knee joint. However, Hartmann, Wirth & Klusemann (2013) after the study reported that information about the increased risk of development of degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, chondromalacia when performing deep squats is not justified. Be wary of increasing the depth of the squat is not worth it.
Exhale when lifting the weight
Finally, another critical mistake when performing squats is to do exhaling during the lifting rods. But need to exhale at the last stage of the exercise, after the passage of the concentric phase. Breath holding will increase intra-abdominal pressure. Why is it so important? Exhale at the end of squats will lead to commit more efforts to prevent injuries to the lower back. Carbon dioxide should come out smoothly, without jerks.
For joint health, spine, squat is not dangerous as such, but improper technique of the exercise. To improve it, it is better to master the squats with the coach. Help and simple tricks work in the gym in front of the mirror, together with a friend and shooting workout for later analysis of errors.
Expert commentaryDmitry Tamarin, fitness trainer (bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfit), candidate master of sports in powerlifting, instructor in functional training
To squats there are two errors: they are doing wrong or not doing at all. The error of those who are not squats, is that it is through sit-UPS produces certain hormones that no heavy exercises are not synthesized. Without squats is impossible to increase the total mass of the legs, endurance, strength. Those who still crouches, common errors the following:
1. Watch Youtube videos with professional athletes who squat with huge weights, for example, 400 kg, and try to repeat. You have to understand that professionals present fenoderee, through which the lubrication of the joints and the spine. This is another story where it’s not worth learning, and which is not necessary to repeat.
2. Steep slope ahead: the burden is not on the legs and lower back.
3. The second reason of the error. To take just a big of its weight: this affects technique and range of motion. Better to practice the technique without weight or with low weight and learn to squat at least to parallel. After all, to squat with some weight, but 1/3 makes no sense — in this moment work only joints and 1/3 part of the muscle.
4. The displacement of the center of gravity: the man begins to bend the bar “hangs” on the back, the weight goes on your toes. If the weight is not on heels, then the load is removed almost in half with the back of the thigh and gluteal muscles.
5. Another very common mistake. At the beginning of the exercise, movement comes from the knees and not from the pelvis. In this case, the load on the knees and they immediately go over your toes (you need to try to not go!). With long legs it is very difficult to make the correct amplitude, as is no stretch in the muscles and not the joints. Therefore, the inertia of the weight will go forward. We must remember that the first stage of the movement is abduction of the pelvis back. Many people advise to lift my head, but in this case it is the load on the cervical vertebrae, it can lead to pinched cervical.
6. Work with the same weight 2-3 times a week. Necessary periodization, i.e. varying the load on a monthly cycle, so the muscle has not adapted to the load. For example, once a week you squat with light weights and the muscle under load is from 30 seconds to 1 minute is from 15 to 30 reps per set. To another week of the muscle under load is from 15 to 30 seconds — 4 to 8 reps maximum. In this case, the muscle won’t get used.
7. Lack of stretching and exhaustion after squats. You need to remove the effects of compression: stretch the spine, remove the clamps in the joints, etc. To help you go the horizontal bar, Swedish wall, pull-UPS and some exercises from physical therapy, which allow you to stretch the muscles. Ignoring this step leads to the entrapment and pain in the back.
8. Performing squats with a headache. During the exercise intracranial pressure increased significantly. The “best” case, the consequence is a stroke, and at worst, would — be athlete “bent” in the simulator, where it will pull the coach. Never squat with a headache!
9. Squats with “sick spin”. In the presence of diseases of the back when performing exercises that people injure themselves more due to the fact that during compression of the intervertebral disc is erased. This can lead to disastrous consequences.
10. Squat with 60 kg for 8 times and then walk around the room proudly.
Review expertTasha Petrova, coach, yoga instructor
Squats — one of the permanent elements for marathons harmony programs and harmony for the home. Tips and advice for the proper performance of this exercise I give to participants:
1. Immersed in what we do, include feeling at full capacity. Everything we do, feel every muscle, control our body.
2. Feet shoulder width apart, feet firmly pressed to the floor, pointing forward.
3. The back is straight.
4. When performing exercises — the breath is through the nose (breathing is extremely important when performing exercises that particularly focus on this).
5. The tailbone when squatting goes all the way back, we imagine that we sit on a small chair.
6. A common mistake is that when you squat your knees bred in hand or the opposite bring together. The knees should always be pointing in the direction of socks.
7. Another common error is when the knee is removed forward, and thereby severely straining the knee joint, which can lead to injury. Tip: from the sock hold vertical invisible line, for which our knees must not go.
8. Hand to balance the castle — fist in palm, elbows are diluted in the side when squatting do push a fist into a palm, at the same time working through the chest and shoulder muscles.
9. When lifting the body in the starting position doing a slow breath in through your nose.
10. When straightening the buttocks is maximally compressed, this increases the effect of gluteal.
Uses photographs Shutterstock